of Amazon.com's heavily used Amazon S3 storage service has caused problems for many Web 2.0 sites that rely on the service. You can find a status page for Amazon's service here
Here are a few of the outages and problems.
- Plurk, Twitter and Kwippy are having problems showing images loaded with Amazon A3. It sounds minor but it just isn't as much fun microblogging without the avatars.
- Posterous.com reported problems posting different types of files.
- Picnik, a web graphics tool, has reported problems (via Technologizer)
- Another site down is Smugmug.com - you can see their message here.
- Slideshare.net reported problems related to the outage.
- A video and photo sharing site called Phanfare also reported problems.
- More discussion of the outages can be found here on Techmeme.
This is just a sample of the many sites affected by an Amazon Web Services problem. The cheap hosting service has become popular with Web 2.0 startups. There was a similar Amazon Web Services outage back in February, 2008 - see here